How To

Did You Lose Hair From Covid? Thinning Hair Tips

Posted by Amberly Crast ·

Did You Lose Hair From Covid? Thinning Hair Tips

The year(s) all of our hair started falling out...

Why am I losing so much hair? Why is my hair shedding so much? Help, my hair is thinning!! Sound familiar? If you're reading this, chances are you've been saying those very same things to yourself for a while now. It's a common struggle going on with so many women unfortunately. We all want thick luscious locks, so watching more than normal amounts of hair run down the shower drain, or seeing clumps in your hair brush, it can be daunting.. First off, nothing to freak out over! Hair shedding & hair loss is such a normal thing. Covid, different stress & environmental factors, it can be a lot for your body to handle, and your hair, hence the extreme hair shedding. We change, our lives change, seasons change, so our hair is going to too.

And if you have always struggled with thinner hair, keep scrolling for our solution on thick & healthy locks. Luscious locks unlocked... 🔓 

How does COVID-19 have anything to do with hair loss?

If you recently had COVID-19, that could be to blame for the abnormal hair shedding. Here's why: 90% of the hairs on our scalp are in a growth phase called anagen, which lasts for about 3 years. While the other 10% is in a resting phase, called telogen, which lasts for about 2-6 months. At the end of the telogen cycle our hairs are shed and replaced by new hairs, that's the growth cycle summed up briefly. When a person experiences a stressful event, like COVID-19, our bodies can end up prematurely shifting more anagen hairs into the resting telogen state. They then shed sooner. Instead of 10% of hairs to be shedding, it will be more like 50%, hence the greater hair loss you are experiencing. This is all part of the body's way of healing from any sort of infection or stress. 

ï»żHow long will the hair shedding last? 

Here's the good news, if you did lose hair from covid-19, it's completely reversible. Yes, you can get your thick hair back!! It just might take a little more time, patience, & care. ï»żPatience, patience, patience, ladies! A majority of hair shedding cases lasts anywhere from 3 months to 9 months. Wait it out, you will get there!

Tip #1: Back to the basics of washing your hair

ï»żHair that is already thin or falling out is easily damaged and in a fragile state. That is why we are starting with what you wash your hair with! Try switching to a clean haircare brand free of parabens and sulfates. The last thing we want is to further dry out that hair. Using a gentle shampoo & moisturizing conditioner every time you wash your hair will only be helpful. A leave in conditioner or detangler is also helpful as it coats each strand, which in result reduces even more breakage. Switch to a microfiber hair towel as well! Microfiber helps hair dry faster, meaning less time blowdrying or using any hot tools. And it reduces breakage!

Aquis Hair Towel, $35

Tip #2: BFB Fill-Ins

Whether you have always had thinner hair, or you recently experienced hair loss, BFB is the easiest solution for that. Our Fill-Ins are the most natural product for thinning or fine hair. Easy inserting, & natural volume! Included in a fill-in set are 2 wefts making the inserting process done in seconds.

Tip #3: Scalp health is important too

Now is the perfect time to start adding in a scalp routine, because Scalp Health is Important Too! Click on that link to read all about our favorite DIY scalp scrub. Scalp scrubs are beneficial when it comes to hair loss as it stimulates the hair follicles. Adding in a scalp scrubber brush is another beneficial step in promoting circulation and hair growth. 

Dae Scalp Scrubber, $12

Tip #4: Rosemary oil or scalp serum

ï»żSomething that you might already have in your cabinet at home, rosemary essential oil. Rosemary oil is known to strengthen circulation, which in result prevents the hair follicles from dying and falling out. And it won't break the bank, it is pretty inexpensive! Scalp serums have also been all the rave in recent years, mainly because of covid itself. Divi is one of our favorite hair serums for hair loss.

Divi Scalp Serum, $48

Tip #5: Do's & Dont's

  • Avoid any sort of tight or slicked back hairstyles
  • Avoid styling with hot tools
  • ALWAYS use heat protectant 
  • Set hot tools to lower temp
  • Minimize stress load

Now time to buy a set of BFB extensions...

xx BFB Hair Team



Older Post Newer Post